This simple, quick and delicious chocolate cake recipe is the backbone of almost every cookbook. Be sure to use good quality cocoa in both the cake and the frosting, you will notice the difference. Medium speed on most good quality stand up mixers will be more than adequate for a well mixed batter.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup good quality cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans
- 2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- 3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with “PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING. Makes 12 servings.
- “PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup good quality cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
- Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.
This recipe is a fairly basic cake recipe and is used by both beginners and experts to create delicious chocolate cakes. The ingredients are basic and easy to find in any supermarket.
You will want to pay attention to the type of baking cocoa that you use, there are some differences that you need to be aware of. In recipes that use a leavening agent (baking powder or baking soda) you can use either natural or Dutch processed. For a frosting you can use Dutch process, it’s a bit less bitter.